Sunday, October 07, 2007

A Night at the Boston Symphony Orchestra

Saturday night, Richard and I had the opportunity to go to the Symphony thanks to the owner of the company I work for during the week. Prior to the 8 pm performance, Richard and I had dinner in the bar at Brasserie Jo, at the Colonade Hotel. If you are looking for great French food, you need to check this place out. It is Boston's most authentic French restaurant with a 1940's decor. The food, service and atmosphere was an A++! CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON BRASSERIE JO

Once we rolled ourselves out of the restaurant (thankfully, we had a couple block walk to the Symphony through the Christian Science Mall area, which was beautiful with the fountains and the reflection pool). We made a stop into the Symphony store just to poke around and then we headed to our seats. The seats were great (1st balcony just about overlooking the stage) and the program was an All-Ravel Program -- CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON THE PERFORMANCE.

The first half of the program had three different pieces, Alborada del Gracioso; Pavane for a Dead Princess (which was one of my favorites); and Piano Concerto in G (which featured pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet). It was really a good program, but the piece after the intermission, Daphnis Et Chloe (Complete) lasted about 45 minutes...and even for me, who is a lover of classical music, it was a little on the long side. The Tanglewood Festival Chorus also performed in the second half, which was great for me, since I had auditioned for them probably 15 years ago....Plus, seeing the symphony "live" also brings back lots of good memories for me, since I played violin from 5th to 12th grade. I love watching the violinists and how they make those instruments sing....I would be scared to pick up my violin now, knowing how rusty I would be! I think it's safer that I have my violin put in a shadow box and hang it on the wall -- that way it won't hurt anyone! LOL!!! Have a great weekend!

No comments: